Higher in Christ, Deeper in Faith, Wider in Love

Our Story

How it all started...

East Main St. Christian Church was organized in 1852 under the leadership of a circuit pastor named Dr. Silas Blount.  The church had 18 charter members and met in a barn belonging to William Harmon.  In 1854, a “meeting house” was constructed on the east bank of Big Duck Creek.  In 1893, the church employed the first resident minister, George W. Alford, and the church grew to a membership of 240. 

Expanding the vision...

This explosive growth led to the construction of a new church building in 1899 located on the corner of 18th and Main Streets, which is still in use today. Since then the building has been expanded three times – an annex was added onto the sanctuary in 1914, the education building in 1956, and most recently the new addition in 2008. 

Where we are headed...

For 166 years, God has blessed the church with faithful people, strong leadership, and a desire to be a living witness for Christ in the world. We celebrate our heritage while looking forward to a future filled with hope and promise.
Today, we operate to live out our mission statement:
“We exist to bring people higher in Christ through worship, deeper in faith through study, and wider in love through mission and service.”

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 9:30 am and 11 am.